Greetings again,

I just upgraded my SA system and installed Razor.

I have two e-mail addresses set up for spam and ham reporting. Both are sent to
an mbox that is, twice an hour, shipped off to a script that runs sa-learn.

When I installed Razor I modified the script to send the same messages to
razor-report too.

Later, I read that one shouldn't do that because it sends Razor the messages
with the SpamAssassin headers. One should use 'spamassassin --report' instead.
This is supposed to update the Bayes DB, strip the SA headers, and report it to
Razor sans headers all with a single command. Apparently, I'm not doing it
right.

But when I run 'spamassassin --debug --report --mbox < queued_spam.mbox' I get
a bunch of suspicious messages, which makes me think it isn't working right at
all:

debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.4
<clip>
debug: Removing Markup
<clip>
debug: bayes: found bayes db version 3
debug: Score set 3 chosen.
debug: Learning Spam
debug: all '*From' addrs: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
debug: all '*To' addrs: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
debug: Not using Bayes, bayes_ignore_from or _to rule
debug: Removing Markup
<clip>
debug: Razor2 is available
<clip>
debug: SpamAssassin: spam reported to Razor.
///Library/Perl/5.8.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/Reporter.pm line 435.
///Library/Perl/5.8.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/Reporter.pm line 435.
Insecure dependency in connect while running with -T switch at
/System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/IO/Socket.pm line 114.
1 message(s) examined.
spam.mbox processed Tue Jul 26 16:07:02 MST 2005

The first message that really worries me is "Not using Bayes, bayes_ignore_from
or _to rule."

I have an ignore_to rule for my "learn spam" address. If I'm reading this
right, it looks like SA is going to ignore the message and not update the Bayes
DB because it matches this rule. This, of course, completely defeats the
purpose since all of the mail sent to the "learn spam" mailbox will have this
address.

Also, it only reports one From: address, and the message at the end of the
output is always "1 message(s) examined" regardless of how many messages are in
the mbox. I can only assume that spamassassin it's reading the file as an mbox
and is treating the whole thing as a single message.

And finally, those "uninitialized value" and "Insecure dependency" messages
just look bad.

Can someone confirm this?

What's the correct way to update the Bayes and report spam to Razor using a
spam-reporting mailbox?

TIA,

James
--
James Bucanek <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>