Chris wrote:
I run a crojob every six hours to shutdown and restart spamassassin. The below has appeared twice in the past week, on the fourth and this morning. What I see as odd is that SA is apparently still running as spam is still being tagged. Is it possible that on a previous shutdown command that all the running spamd processes were not killed thus causing this?

Shutting down spamd: [  OK  ]
Starting spamd: Could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:783: Address
 already in use (IO::Socket::INET: Address already in use) [FAILED]

This happens on one of my slower, busy machines.  I modified the "stop"
section of /etc/init.d/spamasssassin as follows:

  stop)
        # Stop daemons.
        echo -n "Shutting down spamd (twice): "
        killproc spamd
        sleep 5
        killproc spamd
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/spamassassin
        ;;

--

  Steve