At 14:56 09-08-2005, Rob McEwen wrote:
Thanks for the feedback... but it looks like you e-mailed this directly to
me without sending it to the spamassassin thread
. Please consider re-sending this to the SA
list so that other can benefit from your comment... as you probably
intended! --Rob McEwen

I chose to send you an unsolicited email instead of replying to the thread. :-) I am posting the comment to the SA list as you suggested.

-----Original Message-----
From: SM

This is indeed a slippery slope.  The emails are unsolicited.  This
one is too as we do not have any business relationship. :-)  In
business, there are times when we might email someone or even phone
that person even if we have no prior relationship with the
person.  As it is a manual process, we are limited to number of
emails we can write or calls we can make in a day.  The slippery
slope is where to set the threshold without hampering business.

As long as the emails are not computer generated, the list is not
some list the person purchased and the email is individualized, then
we cannot call it bulk.  If the template is to add the name of the
recipient and the website only, then a lot of people might label it
as spam.  There may come a day when your client may find that it is
easier and faster to use software to grab the information from the
website and have some bulk software generate and send the emails.

You may wish to bring to the attention of the client that his/her
emails might be construed as spam.  And you might warn the person
that you will be closely monitoring email traffic and you may
terminate the account if you receive any complaints.

Bulk is bulk when it people start complaining.  If you see hundreds
of emails going out each day, you are sure to have complaints sooner or
later.

Regards,
-sm