> > You cannot depend on "first DNS" setting on a client -- most DNS
> > clients may try ANY of the one's listed -- Windows clients for
> > instance certainly work this way.
>
> OK, fair enough (although from my experience, dig always
> seems to take the first one it finds that works).  So I took
> all other entries out of /etc/resolve.conf on the SMTP(spamc)

Dig has/is it's own resolver if I recall correctly.

> Linux telnet has this kind of thing?  Where is it??  I
> thought that is what /etc/resolve.conf is.

Telnet uses the built-in resolver -- most ordinary
applications work this way.

> > You should generally point clients to ONE CONSISTENT (set of) DNS
> > servers which return all the correct answers the client
> > will ever need.   If the DNS server (set) doesn't know the
> > answer it must forward or recurse to find it.
>
> Well, since the ultimate client will be spamc, what does spamc use?
> Something other than /etc/resolve.conf?

Most (almost all) regular applications use the built-in
resolver but IIRC SpamC has this as a configuartion/
environemnt setting so it (this is true for SpamAssassin
and Net::DNS actually) might be using a different setting
for DNS than the computer as a whole.

> Also, will my local IP addresses in my zone file get
> propagated to other DNS servers?  (If what you say about
> consistency is important, and I put more than one nameserver
> in /etc/resolve.conf, I will want to make sure they propagate
> to the other DNS servers).

It will propagate to all Secondary DNS servers that hold that
SAME zone (notice that a Secondary DNS server is only Secondary
for one zone at a time -- it might be Primary for other zones,
and of course doesn't hold every possible zone.)

So if your zone is mydomain.com with spam.mydomain.com being a
resource record in that zone, then every DNS server that holds
mydomain.com (i.e., is authoritative for mydomain.com) will
have that record replicated to it (if everything is working
reasonable ok.)

--
Herb Martin