Bryan Hepworth wrote:
I've built the latest version as suggested on the main site which all went very well, however when I come to do the upgrade I get this error:-

file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_porn.cf from install of perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.4-1 conflicts with file from package spamassassin-3.0.1-0_19.rh9.at

Questions are should I do a force install or a removal and re-install of the packages. Removal would probably be fraught with problems knowing my luck!

If you just built both a "spamassassin" and "perl-Mail-SpamAssassin" RPM, try upgrading them both at the same time (i.e. pass them both to rpm -Uvh on the same command line).

If all you have is perl-Mail-SpamAssassin, you should remove and reinstall. Chances are it's just a naming difference -- your old RPM is called spamasssassin, and the new one is called perl-Mail-SpamAssassin, so RPM doesn't realize it should remove the old one when it installs the new one. Forcing the install would leave you with a broken setup that was partly 3.0.1 and partly 3.0.4.

Actually, it's a good rule of thumb to *never* use --force unless you know *exactly* what you're doing and what the consequences are in that particular case.

--
Kelson Vibber