In fact, if the header is correctly writtren
(the relevant part is =?ISO-8859-something?B?text?= or
=?IOS-8859-something?Q?text?= for
base64 or quoted printable, and the something can range from 1 to 15), it would
be a sure
indication of a european sender.
The b and q can be lowercase, and probably the ISO as well.
If it is badly written (impossible to convert) it should be a sure sign of an
"unusual" mailer
or a homegrown mail script.
It seems that most mailers only use encoding in the header if there are actual
non-asciii
characters present, and that some spam encodes the entire sender and subject as
base64
although no such characters are present, but I would not dare to put a high
score on that.

Wolfgang Hamann