Fran Fabrizio wrote:

> We've been running SpamAssassin on a Fedora server successfully for
> about a year now.  About a month ago, we all noticed a spike in the
> number of spam getting through.  I upgraded to 3.1.0 but that does not
> seem to help.  I'm beginning to suspect that some local database or
> the learning has somehow gone awry.  Here a sample score from an
> obvious spam...
>
> ----------
> Subject: Investment Ideas
> tests=BAYES_00, RCVD_NUMERIC_HELO, UNPARSEABLE_RELAY
>
> Lots of similar spam is getting through.  Is this an example of where
> they have just figured out a way through the tests, or do I have a
> local database or learning system that needs retraining?  I've got
> SpamAssassin to check Razor and DCC, you'd have thought those tests
> would hit but I guess not. :-/

It looks like you have a Bayes problem.  These spams score at least BAYES_90
here:

OUR OCTOBER HOT PICK IS: CWTD.

SYMBOL: CWTD
CURRENT PRICE: $2.07
5 Day Target: $5

WE GIVE IT TO YOU AS A GIFT AND THIS IS WHY !!!

*************PRESS RELEASE*****************PRESS RELEASE*************
China World Trade Corporation Attends The World Trade Centers Association's
36th General Assembly in Shanghai

 pts rule name              description
 0.5 PT_CWORDS              Subject contains command verb
 2.0 FROM_M2                relayed from mail2 when mail1 is up
 2.1 BAYES_90               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 90 to 99%
                            [score: 0.9313]
 2.0 DCC_CHECK              Listed in DCC (http://rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/)

If you don't use DCC, check it out.  But the main thing will be getting Bayes
fixed.
It might require deleting the whole DB and re-training.

Good luck
Pierre