To: <users@spamassassin.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 9:41 PM
Subject: Re: New Spammer?

The key to understanding "trusted" is that these are mail transfer agents
that you can trust not to forge headers. If you fetch from an ISP then it
is, perforce, the ISP's pop3 or imap client through which you fetch mail
with the fetchmail utility or equivalent. Such is my case. If you run an
smtp server yourself and receive from the world then that server, by all
its known addresses, is the extent of your trusted network. These are NOT
collections of addresses you "trust not to spam you." They ARE a very few
addresses that can be trusted not to forge headers and nothing more.

That is why the bl tests throw up their hands and fail if trusted_networks
is set wrong. It has to find at least ONE header, starting from the bottom,
that it trusts. From the last address working upwards in the Received
headers it can't trust so it performs the lookup.

If I remember correctly you were hitting ALL_TRUSTED. That is an indication
that you have this setup messed up. Misunderstanding the use of the
trusted_network concept is usually the problem. If you CAN change the
local.cf then with a little work Bob's your uncle. (I remember my
fortunately brief struggle with this. At the moment mine looks much like
this:
trusted_networks 127/8 207.217.121/24
internal_networks 192.168/16

The 207 address space I accept is where Earthlink.net's pop3 servers live.
I use fetchmail from them.

I hope this helps.
{^_^}
----- Original Message ----- From: "Leonard SA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

J,

sorry about that offline email .. :(

Thanks for the answer also. I will definitely make some changes to adjust a more secure setup ..

Regards ..

Leonard
----- Original Message ----- From: "jdow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

That is the general format. I do not have your original message to know
if the data is correct. It almost looks like you are trusting WAY too
much at the 70.119. part. Trust only the mail server(s) from which you
expect to never forge emails itself. In my case I trust the set of
mail servers earthlink lumps as pop3.earthlink.net outside of the local
network.

{^_^}
----- Original Message ----- From: "Leonard SA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

J,

Is the trusted_network your speaking of in the local.cf file as I have below?

trusted_networks        192.168.2.      127.0.0.1       70.119.

I also use badmailfrom which will block mail at the SMTP level .. is SA able to stop spam with some sort of BL / WL rules?