>Hey folks, I was having a thought about phone numbers in spam messages,
>and the old brain pinged an idea at me. I'd really appreciate any feedback!
>
>It occurred to me that I get a fair amount of spam which includes
>phone/fax numbers. It also occurred to me that given a string like
>"Number:+447031916662" (from real spam), then we could strip out the
>phone number and do a lookup thus:
>
>mail# host 447031916662.evilnumbers
>447031916662.evilnumbers has address 127.0.0.2
>
>(real dns lookup to a specially created "evilnumbers" zone)
>And hey presto, it would work just like a URIBL would.
>
>I'm no perl hacker, so what are the odds the current URIDNSBL code could
>be re-used to perform this? Would any of the SURBL guys be interested in
>hosting the back-end if it's worth doing?
>
>Comments welcomed. Thanks for your time!
>
>C.

        Often these numbers are as disposable as the domains.  This
number is a British telephone number possibly "ported" to a cell phone.
The original allocation was:

Number billable as              personal number
Country or destination          United Kingdom
City or exchange location
Original network provider       Magrathea Telecommunications Limited

        So a "third tier" telephone provider, probably now a pay-per-use
or "temporary refill SIM" cell phone intended to be discarded.  Also note
the lack of a geographic location - this number may even be VoIP, but those
are usually identifiable easily (I didn't try).

        I usually only see telephone/fax numbers in 419s, but everyone
gets a different set of spam.

        Paul Shupak
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]