Just for the record, in case it helps anyone else - I found a workaround to my problem.

The problem is that spamd 3.1.0 insists on trying to create per-user config files in its user's home directory, even when I tell it not to, and this causes errors if its user has no home directory. I logged this as bug 4739.

The workaround is to add "--virtual-config-dir=/tmp" to the spamd command line. This tells it to put any per-user files into /tmp. It doesn't actually create any files there - which is correct, because I disabled anything that would have made it create files - but the mere fact that this directory exists is enough to avoid the "mkdir /dev/ null: File exists" errors I had been getting.

  - B