SickBoy wrote:
> mouss wrote:
>
>>Chris a écrit :
>>

>>>Can a mail server just be Postfix, ClamAV, and SA without the need for
>>>Mailscanner or Amavis?
>>>
>>>If so - I would like to see a how-to is someone has one.
>>>

>>yes, but why? you can use clamsmtp[d] for clamav. but if you're using
>>SA, then amavisd-new is recommended. It will run SA code directly,
>>without forking a spamassassin/spamc for every mail.
>>
>>there's not much justification for removing amavisd-new unless you also
>>want to remove SA.
>>
>>if you want per-user SA, then just run SA from an MDA (maildrop,
>>procmail, ...).
>>

> Howdy Gents ;)
>
> Unfortunatelly for Mouss I have to disagree.
> I was a "happy" user of postfix+amavisd-new+sa.
> My system runs on dual [EMAIL PROTECTED] with 256 megs o' ram smoothly
> powered by
> carefully crafted gentoo ..
>
> This combination worked fine for a couple (30 or so) users inside my net.
>
> The problem started to emerge when me, and a bunch of my fellow
> net-citizen set up fetchmail to d/l all the msgs from different mail
> accounts we have.
>
> The system started to choke seriosuly , consuming lot of memory, making
> swap to "grow" bigger and bigger.
>
> It is true, that amavisd-new preloads some of the SA code, but it is
> also true, that this invocation of SA is more like using the spamassasin
> commandline, meaning very,very resource-hungy.
>
> After carefull studyin this doc :
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.1/spamd/README ,
> I've  realised that's just the thing I need. Running SA as daemon, like
> clamd.

While I agree with most of what you outlined (I too experiance tons of
issues with the nes SA/Amavisd combo) - My mailsystem won't work (at
least I don't think so) under this config.

Mainly - it's a mailsever that is a relay for an exchange server. That
means, there isnt any local users. so to me the injection of procmail
etc, would be needlessly wasting time to implement.

Even with a gig a ram, I need to trim back the amount of rules I use. In
addition, I alwasy though the idea of a second smtp engine (as in
Amavis) is silly.

I considered Mailscanner, I like the idea of NOT introducing another
smtp engine however, I don't like the idea of HOLDing the mail either.

And as of late, Amaivs has been more like deailing with a 4 year old in
a toy store.

So for now, I'm still looking and open to ideas.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Consultants are mystical people who ask a company for
a number and then give it back to them.