How to flush the database?

But I don't see how they can cause the problem - why they scan the
email in a few seconds, then jump up into the regions of 300 seconds?

A Bayes DB expire can take up to 10 minutes to complete, depending on
your system and how big your bayes DB is.

However, this should only affect one message, unless the expire keeps
failing or your file locking isn't working. (Or you're using per-user
bayes, in which case it can be one message per account)

Try running sa-learn --force-expire and see if it clears up.

Hello,

Have done that, spamassassin keep letting in a lot of spam, also I keep getting multipile emails from some people.

Any ideas of what I can do now?

Thanks!

Regards - Piers

Does your system reject mail to invalid users so spamassassin does not get pounded by dictionary attacks?

Maybe you are dealing with Bayes and AWL file locking issues. When the system slows to a crawl, I would debug a test message to get an idea where the system is slow.
spamassassin -tD < message
If you have a site-wide Bayes database, run this as the user that writes to it.

Try turning off bayes and awl in local.cf and see if that solves the problem.
If it does, consider moving bayes to SQL, or at least see if:
lock_method flock
is appropriate in your case.
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/dist/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#miscellaneous_options

If you are not running a local DNS cache, you might consider it. I use bind9 and it works great, reduces RBL lookup times considerably. Here is a good guide to getting it installed on Debian:
http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/perfect_setup_debian_sarge/index.php
then simply set nameserver = my.ip.add.ress in /etc/resolv.conf

Are you running one site-wide bayes database, or individual?

Gary V