Ideally, the administrators of those systems should fix their
mailservers to eliminate misdirected bounces.

To quote SpamCop, "Configure your software to either reject messages
during delivery or accept them permanently. Do not let your software
make choices about delivery after it has accepted a message. If you
must accept delivery before you know the status of a message, then
file it internally - do not send, forward or bounce it outside your
organization."
http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html#bounces

So my first step would be trying to get the administrators of the
remote side to fix their mail servers. Secondarily, you could filter
out the bounce messages on your side.