Gary D. Margiotta wrote:
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Gustafson, Tim wrote:

I have been using FreeBSD in a production environment for almost 10
years now (since version 2.2.5!) and have absolutely NO complaints about
it.  I've regularly had servers with uptimes in excess of 6 months, and
even those were just rebooted for kernel updates and the like.

I maintain about 30 different SA servers for a variety of clients, OS installs include FreeBSD (all flavors from 4.8 and up), Fedora Core X, CentOS and Slackware.

I've had problems with Fedora's networking suddenly stopping to function ( fixed with a script that tests network connectivity and if it is down does a network restart), CentOS has core dumped a few times requiring a hard reset.

FreeBSD and Slackware have both been rock solid but FreeBSD overall has been slower in processing messages but when I say slower I mean in the .7 to 1.2 second range. Take into account that I'm not really a FreeBSD guru and I don't know what to tweak so that may be the difference.

I have worked with Debian and Solaris 9 and 10 but the overall experience was not fun and more aggravating than anything else, I'm sure if you were an experienced admin of either of those systems it would go fine although I can't speak about performance. (Note: I run Ubuntu as my desktop on my laptop machine, so I'm not anti-debian)

I'd personally lean towards Slack with FreeBSD a close second, or even in first if you are comfortable with it.

The 30 servers mentioned above are really mixed, some with db bayes and awl, some with MySQL and some mixed awl and MySQL, depending on the clients wants and needs.

Regards,

Rick

Note: I started with Linux in 1994 and I started with Unix in 1981 as the first HP-UX 900 admin in Canada.