Sergei Gerasenko wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Got a potentially previously answered question. I have spamassassin
> 3.0.2-3, which is the current release with Debian. I wouldn't like to
> deviate from the official package and so I'm wondering if it's
> absolutely necessary to upgrade. I diffed the rules, they seem to be the
> same.
>
> That's actually why I'm looking into this. I'll need to update the rules
> periodically and sa-update is not in 3.0.2. Is there a repository of the
> standard rules somewhere? I couldn't find it no matter how hard I
> looked.
There are no standard rule updates that will work with the SA 3.0.x
codebase.

The whole idea behind SA 0.1 through 3.0.5 was that if you needed new
rules, you upgraded your SA version. Rule updates were previously very
slow, due to the expensive mass-check process. New releases of SA code
came out much faster than new rules, thus there was no point in
separating the two. (rule updates were typically only made once or twice
for a given major.minor release of SA. ie: 2.60 and 2.64 had rule
updates, 2.61-63 did not.)

With 3.1.1 and higher, the SA devs are trying out an approach of adding
on rules and making updates to an already released version. However,
this is a completely new concept, and thus only supported on the
completely new version.