[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
mouss wrote:
I would conjecture that most legitimate mail has two "real" hops (the
sending MTA and the receiving MTA).

That would be one hop.

depends on how you count:

        MUA -> my MTA1 -> your MTA -> your mailbox

that's two MTAs, so that's two hops. I prefer to count it this way because this corresponds to Received headers.

a direct mail would be
        MUA -> MTA -> mailbox
and is either:
- legitimate from trusted sources
- direct spam
- an exception

if you have an internal MTA and a relay host, or if you have an MTA and relay via an ISP, that adds a hop

If you can "remove" the reception hops (since you know them, you can ignore them in your computations), most legitimate cross-domain mail would be 2-h mail (this is what I believe).