Mark Martinec wrote:

The most interesting part in my view is not the IP distance, but the
type of OS, illustrated by the following table (derived from the same
data as fig2):

    p0f OS guess    ham :   spam
    -----------------------------
    Windows-XP    0.7 % : 99.3 %
    Windows-2000  5.8 % : 94.2 %
    UNKNOWN      16.5 % : 83.5 %
    Linux        58.8 % : 41.2 %
    Unix         80.3 % : 19.7 %
    (Unix+Linux  66.5 % : 33.5 %)

Only 0.7% of all mail coming from Windows-XP hosts is ham!!!
It is an ideal information to contribute two or three score points.

I'm not sure the ham hit rate from the Windows-XP category scales (to other installations) very well. The last time I looked into using p0f to fingerprint connecting hosts, last spring, I seem to recall that Windows XP and Windows 2003 share the same TCP/IP stack and fingerprint identically.

While it'd be nice to be score "Windows-XP" hosts harshly, there's a lot of mail coming from Windows Server 2003 hosts that would get hit.

I know for some of my systems 1:99 would be really low if Windows Server 2003 and XP are identified the same. 40:60 (and in some cases 80:20) would be closer to what I often see if I were to assume that all spam came from Windows XP hosts.

Maybe you don't receive much, if any, mail from Windows Server 2003 hosts?

Daryl