Thanks Matt,

That certainly would explain my problem. The entry is listed near the bottom of this page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/resources/how_to/email/ Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html

Checking Google, its the only page in the world saying "meta SYMBOLIC_TEST_NAME regular expression." Its not clear which version this relates to.

Back to the drawing board...

Dan