[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> A couple of days after an upgrade from 3.0.4 to 3.1.2, I'm noticing
> that it seems alot slower.  I turned off most network tests,
> including DCC, Pyzor and Razor and it still looks like there's an
> issue.
>
> I raised max children from 15 to 25, yet it still seems to be spending
> most of it's time at 25, and smtp connections are stacking up behind
> it and occasionally spamd is so overwhelmed a spam gets through with
> no checks.  CPU also spikes up to over 20.0 at times, on a dual Xeon
> server with maybe a thousand mailboxes.
>
> In the logs, the only thing I see that's showing an issue with SA is
> this:
>
> May 31 07:53:52 mail spamd[59117]: Use of uninitialized value in
> subtraction (-) at

/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/Locker/UnixNFSSafe.pm
> line 102, <GEN108> line 46.
>
> Could this be causing children to hang?  They seem to take forever to
> exit...

Sounds like it could be a memory issue.  Check your memory usage and
see if you are going into swap.  If so, lower max children until it
stops using swap.  Once SA starts using swap memory, performance goes
way down.  The network tests are unlikely to be the culprit.  Usually,
excessive memory use is caused by having one or two really large
add-on rule sets.

--
Bowie