On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 05:08 -0700, Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Friday, June 23, 2006, 5:09:55 PM, jdow jdow wrote:
> > Jeff, it's probably quite good when the lookup is implemented on
> > spam traps and a small collection of servers. The domain registrars
> > who are honest might like it. It'd reduce the incentive and value
> > of domain kiting.
>
> Presumably the list doesn't include kited domains, or it would be
> 35 million records long.  :-(
>
> > However, doesn't a greylist perform much the same intent - a domain
> > that has not been heard from before is held off for a second chance
> > in half an hour to an hour. "Obviously" new domains would trigger
> > the greylist. If the greylisting is done on a per domain basis it
> > could be combined with the whois lookup. If the whois lookup did
> > not provide age data the message is blocked per greylisting. If it
> > provides age data indicating an old domain it's blocked per greylisting.
> > If it indicates a new domain it's blocked with a permanent error.
> > (If the whois source is not trustworthy it's also blocked with a
> > permanent error.)
>
> Michael gives some good possibilities and a discussion of the
> difference with greylisting.  Note that whois can't really be
> done on an automated, high-frequency basis.

DomainKitting must cost good registrars like Go daddy a lot of money due
to resource use. So it will make them money if they aren't being used
for this kind of abuse.

If we could get e.g. Go Daddy support the idea of greydomaining and they
will input the data of new domain names in the database and removing
5-day-refund addresses and payed-addresses then Go Daddy won't be a
registrar which will be used by spammers.
It will *cost* Go Daddy an amount of marketing items like:
- we have x million new domains every day/week/month
- we have a grand total of x million domain names
- ...

But it will *give* them a great support from serious users and admins.
They won't register that many domain names but if we, the serious
admins, do register we will use and pay for that domain.
and I like to give my money to a registrar that is doing whatever it
cost to keep the internet usable.

If Go Daddy does give the data of all the registrations there isn't any
need for whois queries.

--
With kind regards,

Maurice Lucas