On 25-Jun-06, at 7:22 PM, John D. Hardin wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Jim Hermann - UUN Hostmaster wrote:

There are at least two ISPs involved:

Spammer A => SMTP Server B => Recipient Server C => (Bounce) =>
Forged Email Server D

I don't think that's the case for most spam these days. For a
spambotnet of compromised home systems, you'll see:

Spambot A => Recipient Server C => (Bounce) => Forged Email Server D

I think you've just proved my point. It's too hard to try and determine who to contact in these situations

I already use SPF HARDFAIL, so I could ALSO complain to Recipient
Server C about NOT using SPF to reject the email from SMTP Server
B.

Agreed.

Again, this has merit but your approach will determine how successful you are. Also, it may be easier to determine who to approach about the subject.

--
Gino Cerullo

Pixel Point Studios
21 Chesham Drive