Steve Downes wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using spamassassin v 3.03 perl 5.8.4 as supplied with Debian
> stable in conjuction with a postfix-procmail-dovecot setup.
>
> It is picking up about 20% of receives spam & the general setup
> (procmail etc) appears to be OK. I am getting error messages in syslog
> of which the example below is typical. I have looked at the locations
> given in the error messages & I'm afraid they are beyond my simple
> brain. Can anybody give me any pointers please?

I can't help much with the error messages.  They are Perl runtime
errors and seem to indicate that your install is screwed up in some
manner.

I can give you a couple of general suggestions.

1) Install a newer version of SA.  The current version is 3.1.3.  You
   can either build the current version yourself, get it from CPAN, or
   get a newer version from debian-unstable.  Spam is changing
   constantly.  As with a virus checker, it is important to keep your
   SA installation up to date.  Whichever update method you choose,
   you should probably remove your current version first.  This will
   avoid have a double installation which can cause some REALLY
   frustrating problems.  It will also help avoid migrating your
   current problems to the new install.

2) Enable URIDNSBL, Razor2, and DCC.  These network tests will
   dramatically increase the effectiveness of SA.

3) Install some rules from www.rulesemporium.com.  These rules fill in
   some gaps in the default rules.

--
Bowie