Kenneth Porter wrote:
--On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 5:37 AM -0700 Marc Perkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Why not just eliminate the SMTP protocol for end users and keep SMTP as a
server to server protocol and have users send theit email to the server
by extending POP/IMAP to send email.

What's your objection to authenticated SMTP? It already exists, and clients support it. All my users use it.

If IMAP had the ability to send email to the server then SMTP could be a server to server protocol and IMAP would be the consumer connection protocol. That would make it so that servers don't have to talk to end users pretending to be SMTP servers. You could wall off port 25 and isolate the spam zombies.

About the only hitch is that I have to configure the server twice in Mozilla. (It would be nice to have a checkbox to say that the SMTP info is the same as the IMAP info, except for port number.)

If IMAP could send you wouldn't have to configure it twice.