Rick Cooper wrote:

>> -----Original Message----- From: decoder
>> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 2:24
>> PM To: users@spamassassin.apache.org Subject: Re: Discourage
>> broken content

>> Kenneth Porter wrote:
>>> --On Friday, August 25, 2006 12:05 AM -0700 Plenz

>>> I think we should discourage all broken content in email and on
>>> the web.
>>>
>>> At one time we could assume that broken content was an honest
>>> mistake and make an attempt at fixing it. But with the rise of
>>> malicious content attempting to exploit bugs in content
>>> handlers (like overruns in image libraries), we should simply
>>> reject anything that fails to pass validation, on the
>>> assumption that's it out to get us.
>>>
>>> This includes not just broken images but also broken HTML,
>>> which is so commonly used to conceal spam.
>>>
>>> We need to stop giving a free pass to broken content creation
>>> software just because it's popular. When someone sends you
>>> broken content, you should react the same way you would if they
>>> sent you documents on dirt-smeared paper. Stop letting your
>>> emperor walk around naked.
>> I completely agree, the problem is, some implementations makes
>> this impossible. For example MailScanner.
>>
>> I've heard that it truncates the mail at 30kb, no matter if that
>> is within a MIME block or not... So my plugin gets a broken
>> image.. though it was not broken originally...
>>

> That is patently false. I have a graphics design/advertising
> department at one of my locations and these fellas send huge
> graphics files back and forth when they have emergency
> proofs/changes and MailScanner has *never* damaged anything, ever,
> anywhere. Now, there is a setting for scanning (much like exiscan
> IIRCC) that allows you to truncate the message and only scan xxx
> amount, it's optional and doesn't modify the actual message in
> anyway.
>
> Rick
I did not say it damages the mail. I said it feds only a given amount
of the message to SpamAssassin and THAT breaks plugins requiring the
whole message, especially when MailScanner breaks messages in the
middle of attachments.

And as far as I know, it is the default setting of mailscanner to feed
only a given amount of kb to SpamAssassin. That does not mean it
truncates the message before delivering it.

Chris