Loren Wilton wrote:
>I did notice one possible problem in that debug output.  There was an
>'inappropriate ioctl for device' message in the whitelist stuff near
the
>end.

>This is something that has been a problem for other and has been
discussed
>before, but I don't recall what the usual fix is to solve this problem.
>don't think it is causing your duplicate emails, but there is a minor
nit
>there that is probably making AWL not work right.

Thanks for the information Loren, it appears that email is delivering
normally again.  I definitely would not know enough of what I was doing
to start changing anything with this issue.  I feel shell shocked for
now and want to leave well enough alone now that things are functioning
again.  I really do think I need an expert to look over my
configuration.  Who knows what I may have screwed up?  I will say that I
don't know for sure.

As a note, I "think" I may know what could have caused my problems with
duplicate emails.  I do believe that when I ran the RDJ script and
attempted to update the rules this bogged down the email server.  As
Jake mentioned the other day, this caused delivery problems with qmail.
Once I stopped the update; removed all of the rules out of
/etc/mail/spamassassin and rebooted the server (I still cannot start
spamassassin by using /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart), email started
delivering normally.  It appears that the server resources were being
maxed out.

On another note, I believe I had a compounding problem with our internal
email server running Exchange 2000 that coincided with the above
problem.  The C: drive on that server filled up and thus stopped the
Microsoft Exchange MTA Stack service that evidently delivers mail from
non-Exchange systems.

Here is Microsoft's description of the function of the Exchange MTA
Stack service:

The Microsoft Exchange MTA Stacks service (MTA) routes messages through
X.400 and gateway connectors to non-Exchange messaging systems. In a
mixed environment with servers running Exchange Server 5.5 in the local
routing group, the MTA is also used to transfer messages between
Exchange Server 2003 and Exchange Server 5.5. This occurs because
Exchange Server 5.5 MTAs communicate with each other in the local site
directly through RPCs. Exchange Server 2003 must rely on this
communication method for backward compatibility.

The executable file of the Microsoft Exchange MTA Stacks service is
EMSMTA.exe, which is located in the \Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin
directory. This service depends on System Attendant and maintains its
own specific message queues outside the Exchange store in the \Program
Files\Exchsrvr\Mtadata directory. The registry key is
HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeMTA.

Note

You should leave the Microsoft Exchange MTA Stacks service running, so
that server monitors in their default configuration do not report a
server running Exchange Server as unavailable.

These two things I think were Cause 1 and Cause 2 of my failure, at
least I think they were.  I will say that stopping the RDJ update and
removing all unnecessary rule sets out of /etc/mail/spamassassin helped
get the system delivering again, furthermore, once I freed up space on
the Exchange 2000 machine and restarted the MTA Stack service things
started going back to normal.

Of course this brings me right back to my original reason for starting
this process this week.  Our users are getting a lot of spam in their
mailboxes that I was trying to block from getting through by updating
rules in spamassassin.  George, I have included some of the things you
mentioned that I could put in the blacklist file.  I have also removed
all rules except 70_sare_adult.cf, 70_sare_bayespoison_nmx.cf,
random.cf, 70_sare_evilnum0.cf from /etc/mail/spamassassin.  I would
appreciate any information on whether these rules are beneficial for me
to keep.  I would also like to know if there are others that I have
removed or do not have that I need to put into this folder.

I need an education on these systems.  I would welcome anyone interested
in contacting me in regards to helping with my education.  I also still
feel the need to have an expert pair of eyes look over my system as I am
not totally convinced that everything is configured properly.

Thanks to everyone for their help,
Steve Ingraham