From: "Bowie Bailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Balzi Andrea wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> > every child it occupies approximately 450MB of RAM.
> > Perl v5.8.4 Aren't it too many every 450MB for single child?
> > That is a bit excessive. My first guess is that you have WAY
> too many add-on rule sets (or you are using old ones that should
> not be used). > > Which rule sets are you currently using? >
I'm usign the default rules of spamassassin 3.1.5 with the follow
rules downloaded from rulesemporium:

ANTIDRUG

Antidrug is not needed with current versions of SA.

BLACKLIST_URI

You should use the ws.surbl.org version of this blacklist instead.

See here for more info:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/SURBL

BLACKLIST

This is a 16M rulefile and probably a major contributor to your memory
load.

SARE_SPAMCOP_TOP200

The current versions of SA already use this list as a network test.
If you have network tests enabled, you don't need this.

Other than that, all I can say is that you have quite a few rules.
You may want to try removing some of them and restarting spamd.  Just
do some trial and error and see which ones make the most difference.

You named the big ones. I use more rule sets than he quoted and only
use about 66 megs.

28211 root      16   0 75368  66m 2400 S  0.0  6.6   0:24.43 spamd

{^_^}