At 01:22 PM 10/5/2006, you wrote:
I think the problem would be that this would consume tons of
resources.  Anything else, though, would be susceptible to other typo
attacks.  For instance, say you took each email, and replaced all
doubled letters with single letters, it wouldn't be long before you
were getting spam advertising "analr bictches" or the like.

Fortunately, we've gotten to the point where spammers have to misspell everything for their spam to get through, or basically include NOTHING but a hyperlink, or both. For example, I see quite a bit of crap with
"Hi.

ViiiIaaaAgGGRAAA
CIIIAAALLLIS

http://www.blahblah.com";

of couse, I disable HTML and all that crap, so the spam could look 'normal' in HTML.

Then of course, there's the totally misspelled crap, "We offar tawp kwality roooleks washes".