Chris Santerre wrote:
> From: Bowie Bailey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > > Nope, this is a moderately standard way to do this.
> > > Fetchmail->procmail->SA (spamc/spamd)->delivery stuff.
> > >
> > > It has been discussed, but not a lot.  Most perople on the list
> > > seem to be running Big Machines and would be on the feeding end
> > > of the pop3 link, so they don't have much use fo r this sort of
> > > solution. There are probably half a dozen perople (including
> > > myself) on the list that do this.
> >
> > There may be more than you think.  I do both.  I've got a "Big
> > Machine" (medium volume mail server) at work and I do
> > Fetchmail->Maildrop->SA at home.
>
> IMHO I think its because most of us belive if you have to fetch the
> spam, scan it localy, then you have already lost the battle by having
> to waste resources to get the spam down to your machine. I realise
> there are people who don't have a choice. Only thing you can do is
> complain to your ISP. (The S in ISP is for Service. Most ISPs forget
> that.)

My ISP does provide spam filtering -- I just don't like it.  It tends
to be a bit too aggressive at times, is not configurable at all, and I
have to log on to the webmail interface to check on it.  With only two
low volume mail users, the resource usage is minimal.

By running Fetchmail->SA, I have full control over the filtering and
deleting of messages and I can filter the spam into an IMAP folder
that I can easily check with Thunderbird.

--
Bowie