Really, the idea that a US courts can order an international organisation,
like InterNIC (that's the Inter- bit of InterNIC), to deregister a domain is
farcical. The  only pressure the US courts can place on InterNIC is "Do what
we say or you get shut down". Well, go ahead. Somehow I think that the
community might have something to say about that, as it's tantamount to
shutting down the internet.

Also, to suggest that a community run organisation in another country can be
compelled to do ANYTHING, by a US court anyway, is ludicrous. If E360 had a
legitimate claim they should have made it in a UK court. As they files it in
the US this makes it obvious that they know their claim is bogus.

And, lastly, as much as US citizens hate to hear it, .org is NOT a US
domain, .org.us is. The .com, .org, etc domains are international domains.
The convention of assuming that the non country coded domains are US domains
is simply a result of American hubris. It would actually be great to see
international domains be means tested (you have to have offices in two or
more countries before you can get one), but I would assume that the
bitchfest that would ensue wouldn't be worth it. That's my 2 cents, anyway.

As an Australian resident and citizen I do not want opt-out style marketing
sent to me and it is very disheartening to hear that a US court would even
try to force an international effort to STOP spam to allow a spammer
(unsolicited bulk e-mail is unsolicited, period, there is no way to wriggle
around that) to continue their nefarious trade is insulting and arrogant.

I think the only thing the court should be able to force Spamhaus to do is
to provide a voting mechanism to its users on the issue to see if the users
who use SpamHaus want E360 blocked, and to put some sort of warning on their
front page and in the RSYNC domain files, that E360 is blocked and that's
about it. To award for losses is just stupid. People don't have to use
SpamHaus, they choose to, and it is a decent assumption that if you use
SpamHaus you don't WANT E360's crap.

Sure, maybe showing up for the case might have been smart, but that's the
way the cookie crumbles.

For now the ball is in InterNIC's court, and I say they have a chance to
declare their independence. Maybe InterNIC should move it's servers to
Finland or somewhere less draconian.