The guest has more memory than it is using, so it isn't doing any paging or swapping.

As for the ESX 2.5.4 box, it isn't swapping either.  There is currently enough physical RAM for the few VM's running.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 15:52:17 -0700 (PDT)
Sammy Anderson wrote:
>We recently migrated our SpamAssassin installation from a
>physical 3.6 GHz system running RHEL 4 and SA 3.0.4 to a
>VMware VM (ESX 2.5.4) with RHEL 4 as the guest OS and SA
>3.1.7. Each user has their own Bayes files (Berkeley
>DB) and these were copied from the old to the new
> server. Now whenever an expiry process runs on a user's
>database, the CPU spikes, sometimes for a minute or
>longer. We did not notice spikes on the old server, but
>it is really hammering the VM. Has anyone else
>experienced this problem? For now I have disabled Bayes
>altogether because of the unacceptable load.

Perhaps memory started to spill into the swap on either
the VM or guest OS.

I don't know what version of VMWare you are using. I'm
using v5.2.2 running
under Windows. In the memory preferences I have mine set
so all the virtual
machine memory has to fit into the reserved host ram. I've
done small tests
with SA before and haven't had any problems. Then again, I
haven't found
anything I can use to put a load on a test install. My
test bed is on a
duo-core 3.2ghz with four gig of ram. The VM has a full
gig of ram allocated
and is running the release version of FreeBSD 6.1.