Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got the following in a message from our list management software:

> Basic configuration:
> Debian Sarge
> Postfix
> amavisd-new
> spamassassin 3.001003
> standard ruleset, plus updates from
> - default channel
> - saupdates.openprotect.com
>
> The thing is, that if I'm reading things correctly, the scores for the
> listed tests are:
> AWL 1 (default)
Nope... the AWL has a variable score. It's the "Automatic whitelist"
which is really more of a "History-tracking score averager" than
anything else. It's only called AWL because its most common effect is to
push down scores when a normally low-scoring sender sends a message that
gets a high score. In this case, it went the other way. A sender that
was high-scoring in the past sent a low scoring message and got pushed up.
> 50_scores.cf:score BAYES_20 0.0001 0.0001 -0.740 -0.740
> 50_scores.cf:score NO_RELAYS -0.001
>
> Which should add up to .259 (net tests and Bayes turned on).
>
> So... why is this showing hits=9.7?  What am I missing?
See above, the variable score for the AWL would have been on the order
of +9.45 or so.

Apparently the past average for this sender is somewhere around +20,
causing the AWL to add a lot to this message.

The AWL score is based on the current pre-awl score, and the past
average for that sender.

Basically the AWL always looks at the difference between the current
score, and the past average. It then adds half that difference in.

See  http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AutoWhitelist