At 10:51 AM 11/16/2006, you wrote:
Pick up a pen, and write to your local congressman, or even to the SEC, and insist that they penalize those companies who are being pimped and pumped through spam emails. Today, I got one for Mobicom Communications. If that company had their chance to go public yanked, you could be sure that they'd be much more careful the next time around who they dealt with for spreading the word.

I know that when the 'junk fax' companies started being SERIOUSLY penalized, and that you could take them to court yourself ($150 per fax). We started seeing far fewer of them. Don't bother targeting the spammers, that's not helping. Target the folks paying the spammers (producers of the products).

Note - the bulk of those stock scams are US 'penny' stocks. They are required to file with the SEC, even if they aren't on the main stock exchange.

I would agree, except it would have to be proved it was the company doing or paying for the spamming.

Imagine if ABC Corp is already public, and along comes XYZ, Inc, about to go public. XYZ competes with ABC. ABC hires Spammer in <Foreign Country> to spam for 'XYZ'. So now it looks like XYZ is spamming. The FTC crawls all over XYZ, who of course plead innocent.

Joe Job. :)