I don't think the RFCs specify any time limit. Most timeout after 5 days of trying. We run 3 equivalent scanning machines, which requires us to run a greylisting that will sync between them. That could cause a large delay, if the sending machine tries to send to a different host that isn't synced. Messages that aren't sent from the same machine (SMTP farms like at GMail) can cause trouble as well, since the IP will change. The whitelist usually will timeout after a period of time, so there is a delay that may be induced again in the future, but that depends on setup.

If a sensitive piece of mail needs to get through, it may be possible for the user to send the message again after the delay period has elapsed. This would be a new message, but if it leaves the same IP, with the same from and to pair (or however your greylisting works), it would fire right on through the greylist no problem. Not a perfect solution, but should work for rare occasions.

One probably can whitelist recipients or recipient domains so that they are not affected by greylisting.

Last week greylisting stopped 1.3 million messages, which is after the blacklists and greet pause did their significant work.

Richard

Joey wrote:
One thing I have seen having greylisting on all 3 of my production email
servers (about 4 months now) is that it definatly stops a lot of spam,
HOWEVER I am seeing time sensative stuff take crazy amounts of time to be
delivered.  I am seeing 1/2 hour as the average, not the 5 minutes we are
hoping for, and in a few cases we have seen a message delivered literally
DAYS later, which what I thought was against what the RFC's specify, but
it's what's happening.  I had to move 1 client OFF our main servers onto a
reseller plan in order to accommodate getting them off of the greylisting.

Personally I get about 40 fewer spam messages a DAY because of greylisting
and I am not willing to give it up just yet.

Joey