On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, JamesDR wrote:

> > Bot masters can easily set up SPF addresses that will encompass giant
> > subnets
> > of bots. You'll never know where to draw the line.
>
> Even better. If they give me a giant subnet of SPF records, I know
> exactly what IP's I don't want connecting to my mail server. If a
> spammer sends a spam from a subnet, passes SPF. I will and have gone,
> looked at their record and blocked what they say is 'allowed' to send me
> spam.

What if they include the subnet containing AOL's outbound MX hosts?

Waitaminit, bad example...

What if they include the subnet containing Apache's outbound MX hosts?

As I said before, score on the total number of the hosts matched by
the SPF record. Anything bigger than a class-C is suspicious. Anything
bigger than a class-B is *very* suspicious.

And if a big ISP SPFs their entire class-B, they are damned lazy.

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  The question of whether people should be allowed to harm themselves
  is simple. They *must*.                           -- Charles Murray
 2 days until Bill of Rights day