You must be running SA 3.1.4 or older and amavisd-new 2.4.2 or older.

Nope. SA 3.1.7 & amavisd-new 2.4.4.

I see in amavisd, the line you suggested I add is actually there, but
commented out, as a comment there indicates that SA should be able to
handle this on it's own.

This is a RH9 system (my client won't let me upgrade). I had
previously built perl 5.8.7 and installed it in /usr/local/perl-5.8.7
and changed the first line of amavisd to point to it instead of the
system perl. Is changing that one line sufficient to insure that that
version of perl is the only one that amavis will use for everything
perl (including SA)?

Not sure.

Since I have some indication that there might be a problem with that
version of perl, I'm now building 5.8.8 and will point amavis at that.
Anything else I should do? Of course, I'll install all needed module
into this new version, via CPAN.
--
       -ste

Not sure there either.

When you run amavisd debug-sa does it say you are using?:
Module Mail::SpamAssassin  3.001007

Have you run 'sa-update'? I'm wondering if you have files in /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007/

If so, you should see something similar to:
<...>
dbg: config: read file /etc/spamassassin/init.pre
dbg: config: read file /etc/spamassassin/v310.pre
dbg: config: read file /etc/spamassassin/v312.pre
dbg: config: using "/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007" for sys rules pre files
dbg: config: read file /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007/updates_spamassassin_org.pre
dbg: config: using "/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007" for default rules dir
dbg: config: read file /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007/updates_spamassassin_org.cf
dbg: config: using "/etc/spamassassin" for site rules dir
<...>

At this point SA will no longer look in a place like /usr/share/spamassassin for any rules.

With amavisd-new 2.4.4 you should be able to narrow down debug output so you only see config lines:

amavisd -d config debug-sa

Note where amavisd-new looks for your rules files (all SA files for that matter). It's possible you have more than one directory where rules are placed (spamassassin is installed in more than one place). If so, you need to place the SARE rules where amavisd-new says it is looking for them, or better yet, clean it up by removing the stuff that belongs to a different (older) version of spamassassin (if that's what the problem is).

Gary V

Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/