Ok, this is interesting. :)

I removed all SA installations, except for the one under /usr/local/perl-5.8.8.
I moved my sa-update-keys directory to
/usr/local/perl-5.8.8/etc/mail/spamassassin.
I modified my nightly script to use /usr/local/perl-5.8.8/bin/sa-update.
I ran my nightly script.

Now it has re-downloaded all of my sare rules and so forth to
/usr/local/perl-5.8.8/var/spamassassin/3.001007/

When I run amavisd debug-sa, it now finds all the rules that were just
downloaded to the above location. I presume I can get rid of the now
useless and never used copies that are under /var/lib/spamassassin/...

I'm not used to seeing everything under the perl install though ...
--
       -ste

I have to admit I've never seen that before. Not sure what to think. In general I think it is a challenge to run more than one version of Perl.

Gary V

The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here. Get all the scoop. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/