--------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^

> for module DBD::mysql: ld.so.1: spamd: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open
> failed: No such file or directory at
[snip]
> My DBD::mysql is up to date and working (DBD-mysql-4.00), make test
> for SA doesn't complain.

You are probably using two different perl versions, in one you have DBD::mysql,
in the other (perl 5.8.6) you don't.

> Can anyone help me in the right direction for troubleshooting this? As
> it works fine under 3.1.1 but not with any other version after
> that..... always with the same error.

And the problem started when you installed perl 5.8.6 perhaps?

> Can it have anything to do with PATHs, or LD_PATHs for the spamd user?

Yes, if perl is found using the PATH the one that comes first wins.
--
René Berber