hi,

I would say you should add allowplugins if and only if the following
three conditions hold:

this is a helpful -- but very subjective -- approach.

 1) You trust the channel provider is not malicious

well, as in the case if the Project itself, and DOS, y'all _are_ 'nice
folks', 'n all.  but, beyond that? how to know ... ... ?

 2) You trust that the channel is not going to be compromised by an
outside agent (the GPG check is supposed to prevent that, but it's
always possible to compromise a GPG key)

well, if compromise is possible, then it's always possible ... and,
per your arguments, that trust is never valid.  well, there _are_
shades of trust ...

 3) The channel is known to distribute plugins, and you want to use
these plugins by default without checking them first

is there an check -- with sa-update itself, or other -- to determine
what, if any, plugins are going to be distributed by/at a channel
subscription?

sure, one can subscribe, then dig around in the distro files, but,
imho, that's not the user-friendliest approach.

would be nice to have a check, e.g., "sa-update --channelfile 'blah'
--check-plugins", or something like ...

as, honestly, as i write here, without 1st checking, or perhaps
thinking on it a bit, i could NOT tell you whether or not the SARE
channels(s) i'm sa-update'ing do, or do not, install/include plugins.

i just don't know.

Anyways, that's my opinion, though I'm not nearly as familiar with the
update process as Theo is.

appreciated.

again, it's pretty clear that there _are_ options/choices to be
had/made, but the "i'm just a user, so what do i do now?" sort of
guidance is still -- as already pointed out, apprently just for me ;-)
-- a bit soft.

thanks.