John Rudd wrote:
Marc Perkel wrote:
Derek Harding wrote:
Marc Perkel wrote:
I don't understand why you think SAV is a louse anti-forgery tool. It forces spammers to have to find real email addresses to forge.
So here's a little thought experiment for you.

As you know more and more spam is sent by botnets from compromised machines. Those bots know a range of valid addresses because they're pulling them out of addressbooks on the local machines (they're also sending to those same addresses btw).

So - let's say you don't use SAV. You accept the message not knowing that it's from a fake address. Then you have to spam filter it. If if fails, it creates a bounce.

No. You do your spam filtering during the SMTP session, using a milter or something similar. If it scores as spam, then you reject it during SMTP.

So, no, it doesn't create a bounce. Only an idiot would bounce a message for being spam.

Or if you are using something that doesn't easily support prefiltering then you can deliver with spam markup.

Do not ever bounce!  Ever!  I can not stress this enough.

blah.

Night folks!

Rick