I was using my own script for SARE updates last week. The I switched to sa-update subscribing to openprotect.org. Then my GEOCITES rules seemed to start missing; so I did some diging and found somebody else unhappy with the GEOCITIES rules in 70_sare_specific.cf and was kind enough to share. I implemented the new rules and am now happy.

Point is ...

I just found somebody else with a problem with the openprotect.org channel; coincidence you ask?

No, I feel a trend coming on!

The people running openprotect.org better get their act together or they won't have many people lining up for their contracts; not matter how cheap they can sell their service.

--
WPM
Can there be customer service with out customers?

Mark Adams wrote:
Hi Anthony,

I was using Openprotect's SARE update channel for my standard sare
rules. I am not sure exactly what the issue was, but believe it was due
to a redefined "USER_IN_WHITELIST" that they have somewhere in their
rule set.

To correct the issue, I removed all cf files that were updated from this
channel (everything in /var/lib/spamassassin). I have now setup my own
script to update the standard SARE rule sets that I believe are useful
for my clients.

Testing after these changes clearly shows the whitelist hits, without
any impact on the spam blocking (no extra spam is getting through).

Regards,
Mark