Bowie Bailey schrieb:
Grant Peel wrote:
I have not turned on bayes, is it critical (to catching spam)?

Bayes is not critical, but it can be very useful.  For best results, I
suggest you do this:

ACK. It can kick the spam over the treshold which is maybe not hit by other rules, a well trained Bayes is essential i think. (And it produces no false-positives if bayes was:
BAYES_100 it was always right).

Manually train the Bayes db with hand-sorted ham and spam at least until
you get to the 200-ham/200-spam limit.  After that, keep an eye on your
incoming mail and retrain any messages that are mis-classified.

Manual training works like this:

    sa-learn --ham /directory/with/nonspam
    sa-learn --spam /directory/with/spam

You should run sa-learn with the proper user account e.g.:

 sudo -u amavis -H sa-learn --spam /path/to/spam-messages/

By default Bayes will also auto-learn incoming messages as either ham or
spam based on certain criteria.  Some people suggest adjusting the
criteria to further prevent mis-training, but I have not had any
problems with the default settings.  However, on some of my accounts, I
will disable the autolearning and manually sort and learn on all of my
incoming mail each day.

Autolearning is not failure proof i think,
especially on less restrictive Mailinglists ...

--
Greetings
MH

Dont send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]