Kevin W. Gagel wrote:
----- Original Message -----
Most common usage is:

   $ sa-update

Or, if you want to see what it's doing:

   $ sa-update -D

Unless you are adding extra channels or doing something strange with it,
you shouldn't need more than that.

OK, got all those RTFM answers :-) - I get that...

But when was this introduced and what is it for and what is a channel? I
use rulesdejur is this a replacement for that or is it specificly to update
the SA rules so we don't have to update the whole package all the time. The
man does not answer these questions. I'm just trying to understand what it
is all about.

The first thing listed in the FAQ [1], linked to from the SpamAssassin home page [2] is "RunningSaUpdate" [3]. This page explains that SA update is functional for SA 3.1.1+ and tells you briefly what you need to do to use sa-update.

For more detail, the RunningSaUpdate wiki page links to "RuleUpdates" [4] tells you everything you ever wanted to know about sa-update (like don't screw around with --updatedir), or links to more info about specific topics like what SARE channels [5] are available. The SareChannels wiki page even included a link to my quick and concise how-to [6] on updating SARE rules via the SARE channels I provide.

Normally I recommend the individual channels I provide over the bundle that Openprotect provides [7] for a number of reasons [8], but it looks like they've at least fixed the issue of not supporting all currently released versions of SpamAssassin (at least in DNS), so their channel may be a viable option for you. The choice, of course, is yours.

Daryl

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
[2] http://spamassassin.apache.org/
[3] http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RunningSaUpdate