Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> jdow wrote:
>

>> Having been a victim of a forged "From:" address hack, a Joe Job, I
>> can tell you reliably that I will crawl through the wires back to the
>> MTA that bounced back to me and rip the CPU out of the hard drive.
>> And if the operator is nearby I will rip his heart out through his
>> mouth.
>>
>> {o.o}   Joanne hates idiots who bounce and thus commit joe jobs.
>>        'Nuf said?
>>

> That is understandable, all people can't manage their anger.
>
> Backscatter still is no SPAM.

True, but it is misconfiguration that can be maliciously abused to
create DDOS attacks.

Backscatter networks are no different than the smurf amplifiers of the
late 1990's, and deserved to be blacklisted for the same reasons.
They're not spammers, they're misconfigured DDoS waypoints that
inadvertently facilitate attacks launched by spammers (joe jobs).

(and for those that don't know what a smurf amplifier is, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smurf_amplifier)