On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 15:43 -0400, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 02:27:36PM -0500, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> > So what's the best fix for this?  Should one just freeze SA at an
> > earlier version on a production server until this is fixed upstream?  Is
> > upstream aware of the problem and working on a fix for it?
>
> You need to debug your installation and figure out what the problem is.  Bayes
> works fine in 3.2.

Obvously, for some of us, it doesn't.  I can take the time to determine
the conditions that cause the failure, but I don't have a lot of time to
work on debugging this kind if thing if my installation works fine with
an earlier version of SA.  If the developers upstream are aware of the
problem and working on it, then any debugging I might do would very
likely be a waste of my time - hence my question.

> As for "on a production server" -- you do some testing
> before doing a major upgrade in "production", right?  :)

SpamAssassin itself is only in beta as far as its use for my customers.
I'm not going to deploy it for everyone on my servers until problems
such as this are addressed.

> Start by running a message through "spamassassin -D" and see what is going on.

I'm not using spamassassin, I'm using spamd/spamc.  spamc takes a -u
option and gets passed the email address of a virtual mail user by the
MDA.  the 'spamassassin' executable takes no such option.  On top of
that, there's no documentation re. getting the 'spamassassin' executable
to read per-user Bayes data and userprefs from a MySQL database (as
there is for spamd) and my understanding is that it probably won't.  I
could be wrong in this, and would be happy to be educated about it.

> Do you have config errors?  Not loading the Bayes plugin?  Bayes can't access
> the DB?  Not enough tokens to make Bayes usable?  Debug mode helps answer all
> of these questions, and more.

As I stated in my original post, there are plenty of stored Bayes tokens
to get reliable Bayes scores.  The _only_ change in the setup here was
upgrading the SpamAssassin verision, and backversioning solved the
problem, which probably rules out a configuration problem.

Please re-read my original post and the follow-up posts by Eray Aslan
and John Thompson which indicate that this is probably a bug, not a
configuration issue.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "In an open world,    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    who needs Windows  |      available at