>> I think CR can perhaps work quite well for an individual user with the
>> technical insight & time to spare, but such individual users are only
>> an small part of the picture.
>
> No it doesn't.  It foists the recipients burden on others, usually due
> to the *lack* of technical insight.  Otherwise they'd realize they are
> only making the problem worse.

Actually I've seen one C/R variant that addresses the backscatter C/R issue
quite nicely; it dropped the suspected spam in a quarantine folder and
issued an SMTP fakereject after DATA that included a link to a website where
the sender could release the spam from quarantine. So no backscatter
spamming innocent third parties, but you still get a chance for the sender
to verify sending a message. The backend might be a little involved to set
up, but the final system looked secure and easy to use.
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com