John Rudd wrote:
Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

On 22.07.07 18:47, John Rudd wrote:
As I've said for years: we should just ban attachments. They're not really useful for anything that can't be done a better way. Which only leaves them being useful for attacks of one form or another.

some people just want, some just need attachments.

"some people just want" -- yup, no disagreement there. No matter how many alternatives you give them, some people just want the ease and convenience of attachments.

"some just need" -- no, I can't agree there. I have yet to come across ANY situation where a person _NEEDED_ attachments. As I said above, there's nothing that can be done with attachments that you can't do another way.

Of course these things COULD be done another way. But not always as easily or as quickly as with attachments. Can you recommend a quick and easy replacement to attachments when my boss wants me to send him an excel file he needs for a meeting with an auditor?

1. FTP? Easy for me to setup and upload the file to the server. But now my boss has to open an ftp client (yes you can use a browser but does he know this?) He doesnt even know what ftp is..and now he needs to use a username and password just to get this file I could have easily emailed him? Too much work on his part.

2. Put it up on our company intranet? This is somewhat less work than ftp but since it is publicly accessible (inside our organization), there would need to be some authentication. This ALMOST worked for us here except for that time when the ceo needed a report sent to him but he was not in the building. He wanted it on his blackberry..hmm..how to get a report to a blackberry remotely without email and attachments?

3. ??