> I've read this list for a long time. I've seen some really, truly STUPID
> questions come through...and seen them be answered, civilly, helpfully.
> The
> only difference is I don't have a masculine username. I truly hate coming
> off as a cranky feminist who complains I am being treated unfairly because
> of my gender.
>
> But when it quacks like a duck...it's a duck.

It has nothing to do with your username and it is nothing personal and i
didn't know you were female or transgendered or whatever.

In the catb esr stuff it talks about things like actually doing some trouble
shooting (aka diagnosting work when explaining what you have "previously"
done other than saying that it has just always worked and please help me and
leave it at that.

In general, you should have a constantly growing and morphing step by step
by step process(es) that allows you to know what is going on with your
systems...

The info you obtain from these processes will allow you to troubleshoot and
diagnose and fix your systems.

It might usually start with perusing logfiles and test scenarios

One list member actually mentioned that you could break your config in
local.cf and then when you

spamassassin --lint

You could see if the lint barfs...

And then you could

spamassassin -D --lint

and look more closely so to speak...

in otherwords, put some garbage before and/or after the offending line or
lines you say are not being "seen" in the local.cf

then you could put in real things that do not break local.cf there too and
test...

etc etc

not only did you get this help, you didn't see it or follow it even after he
clue sticked you as well.

This is all covered in the "Before you Ask" (among other places) section of
how to ask smart questions.

Quack quack quack quack quack

:-)

 - rh