> I have a FreeBSD machine running qmail, SpamAssassin and ClamAV.  The
> machine is receiving 200,000 e-mail messages per day, courtesy of
> Rumpelstiltskin attacks from thousands of different IP addresses each day,
> and SpamAssassin appears to be overwhelmed.  I have about 50,000 e-mail
> messages in my qmail queue and the queue is growing by more than 1,000 e-
> mail messages per hour.
>
> I want to temporarily disable SpamAssassin to free up enough resources to
> let the mail queue clear.  How do I do that?
>
> If anyone knows how to temporarily disable ClamAV too, I'd be ecstatic to
> learn how to do that too.
>
> I've read Life with qmail and the SpamAssassin documentation at
> http://spamassassin.apache.org/ but I'm not connecting the dots.
> Unfortunately, I didn't set up this machine and I don't have a good grasp
> of qmail, SpamAssassin and ClamAV.
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance and all practical suggestions you can
> offer.

I haven't checked my personal notes in full (needing coffee first), yet...

If the machine is using qmail-scanner-queue.pl, then you would backup that
file, and then you would edit that file to tell it not to scan for viruses
and to not use spamassassin.

Then you would save that file

Then you would call aka run that file in such a way as to reset it so to
speak...

Meaning it has to be called as the right user

I would be more exact, yet I do not currently have it implemented on a BSD
system although it should be the same on just about any system

http://www.itslot.com/how_to_disable_enable_sa_clam_av_or_both_in_qmail_scan
ner

or

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+disable+clamav+and+spamassassin+
in+qmail-scanner-queue.pl

You should be able to google the rest of the info from here.

As far as validrcptto, this is the best site and patch set I have ever found
for qmail if you want to learn and know what you are doing

http://qmail.jms1.net/

there is a validrcptto patch by jms1 among many other things.

 - rh