On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 at 16:24 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] confabulated:

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Eric A. Hall wrote:

On 8/16/2007 12:39 PM, Marc Perkel wrote:
OK - it's interesting that of all of you who responded this is the only
person who is doing it right. I have to say that I'm somewhat surprised
that so few people are preprocessing their email to reduce the SA load.
As we all know SA is very processor and memory expensive.

Personally, I'm filtering 1600 domains and I route less than 1% of
incoming email through SA. SA does do a good job on the remaining 1%
that I can't figure out with blacklists and whitelists and Exim tricks,
but if I ran everything through SA I'd have to have a rack of dedicated
SA servers.

third-party blacklists are good indicators but they are not perfectly
accurate. the errors make them unsuitable as a sole metric, but are by
definition very good inputs for spamassassin's probability scoring systems.

for those of us that can afford this approach it works very well. I'm
sorry you can't, but that's not our fault.

 I have to second that... In the early days when spammers were just
 getting started, we started using some RBL's at the MTA level.  ORBS
 was one I believe.  Then they went away and started tagging
 everything as spam, and of course we started rejecting everything.

 Lesson learned - we will not depend on any external RBL as an
 absolute pass/fail test ever again :)  We use greylisting on the
 secondary MX's, but everything goes through SA eventually before
 entering our internal mail system.  Works great.

Most blacklists I know of that have gone away in the past set DNS to return 127.0.0.2 to ALL requests that came in. Most of the email lists I'm on received posts by other list members with reguards to the list going away. I would speculate that was the reason your messages started tagging as spam.

One such list I remember was ordb.org.

-------
  _|_
 (_| |