Hello,

John D. Hardin wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Richard Hobbs wrote:
>
>> Could the size of "bayes_seen" and "bayes_toks" be causing this timeout?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If so, what can i do about this?
>
> Disable automatic Bayes expiry and do a manual expiration run, and
> allow it to complete.

So what you (and Michael Parker) are saying is that it's not the
checking of spam against the tokens that is causing the timeout, it's
the automatic expiration of old tokens that "conveniently" gets tagged
onto the same operation, right?

If so, let me get this straight - an email comes in and goes off to
spamd. spamd then checks the message against the tokens to determine
whether it's spam or not, then runs an expiry of old tokens (or perhaps
it happens the other way around), and only then returns the mail to
exim. The expiration of old tokens takes a lot longer than the spam
checking and as a result it's timing out.

So, if i disable automatic expiration, spamd will only attempt one
operation at a time, (checking of spam against the tokens) and should
therefore not timeout, correct?

But, if i do disable automatic expiration, i will have to remember to do
it manually, or via cron.

Is this all correct?

Would a suitable alternative be to delete "bayes_seen" and "bayes_toks",
then restart spamd? I know i would be deleting everything that had been
learned over the last period of time, but starting afresh may not be a
bad thing, seeing as the rules in the database are probably 6 months to
a year old now (we've not been using spamd for a year or so, because i
broke it and had no time to fix it!).

Please let me know your thoughts, and also let me know whether deleting
both of those files is a good way to go.

Thanks again,
Richard.

--
Richard Hobbs (Systems Administrator)
Toshiba Research Europe Ltd. - Speech Technology Group